Skip to content

RDCA History

RDCA History

During the 1950’s, managing the growth of the City remained a major challenge. With projects such as the Penhold Air Base in 1951, a wave of oil patch activity in the outlying areas including Joffre, Sylvan Lake and Eckville, as well as the new Deerhome Institution (part of the Michener Centre) caused strain on existing processes and created a new way of thinking on how the City operated. The need to provide a more organized structure to the construction industry was being discussed, including standards and access to plans and streamlined tendering.

In 1957, the Red Deer Building Exchange was established and an office was opened next to the Imperial Lumberyard on 47th Avenue, north of 53rd Street. By the early 1958, the group was the third largest in the province with 58 members from the City and surrounding centers.

The Red Deer Building Exchange incorporated under the Societies Act of Alberta in June of 1964.

On March 22nd, 1965, the Red Deer Builder’s Exchange became the Red Deer Construction Association.